Thursday, February 17, 2011

Silver and Goldstone

Hello dear readers,

Yesterday, I managed to find a little time to play in the glass studio.
When I was rummaging through a tin of glass bits and pieces, I came across a small packet of gold aventurine (AKA goldstone) flakes and it made me think how little I actually use this particular additive in my bead making.  In combination with silver leaf or foil, goldstone can give some lovely results.

I decided to try out a tutorial by Carol Anne Bouchles from the Passing the Flame "Spotlight on Silver" series of lampworking tutorials compiled by Corina Tettinger.  I bought this booklet several years ago.
Carol calls the tutorial bead a "Patina Forest Bicone".

I think my bicone bead turned out kind of O.K. (see pictures below).  However, for the next attempt, I will try to have a more even ring around the bead and a more even application of goldstone flakes: one end is covered more than the other. Perhaps also, I should apply the goldstone more liberally.

The squiggle of glass through the centre is made with a medium topaz stringer which changes colour from topaz to blue when applied on top of silver leaf or foil.
How wonderful is that!  I truly love glass when it does all these magic reactions.



The other thing I am thinking about is whether the bead I made should be etched. What do you think?

Following on with my recent bicone obsession, I also made an opal yellow bicone, encased it in silver and applied a fine stringer of intense black which results in that great webbing affect. (Also seen on the white bicone here.)



Cheers

Jenni


4 comments:

GraceC said...

Jenni! They. Are. GORGEOUS! Just beee-uu-tee-ful. Please do not etch that bead. I think it's perfect as it is. What is the goldstone portion of it though? The goldish flecks or the yellow rings surrounding the beads? (I don't know anything about lampworking; sorry!) The second bead is unbelievable. The effect you describe as webbing almost looks like a worm or a brain to me, but in a good way, really! Just stunning. Keep it up!

Jenni said...

Grace, good to hear from you.
The goldstone flakes are the green bit, they turn that colour when applied on top of silver leaf/foil.the ring is made from ivory glass with silvered clear on top. Once again the silver changes the colour of the glass from ivory to a rich caramel. Magic isn't it!

fireflymyst said...

Those are awesome!!

Jenni said...

Thanks ,Collette for your kindness. Jenni

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...