Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beads from Hong Kong

Hello dear readers,

I have tried to purchase a few beads in each place we have visited.
We browsed the markets of Hong Kong, and, on the first stall at the first market on the first day in Hong Kong, I found some interesting beads.
Actually, I was quite excited which I was sure must have been apparent to the stall holder, even though I did try valiantly not  to show it. These guys have a sixth sense though and they can tell a person quite easily who is obviously fresh off the plane and not too good at bargaining!
So, the obvious did happen and we found out days later our little "bargain" was no bargain at all!

I have since learned that a bargain is really only a bargain in your own eyes if you want it badly enough!
Well, that's my theory and I'm sticking with it!

The bangles are Jade( debatable) Carnelian and Agate.


Tibetan(VERY debatable!) Dzi beads made from agate.
The red ones are glass.


Cute little clock pendant that I thought was unique until I saw it again and the again over the next few days! Oh well, I still love it.

The other aspect of bead buying that I really struggle with is authenticity. I am not someone who works a lot with gemstones, semiprecious etc, even though I really love them. So I am not terribly familiar with the real ones, let alone the copies!
I tend to be gullible enough to believe anyone if they tell me what the stone is, that is just my nature.
I think more than likely, each and every one of the larger stones (apart from the red glass ones ) are very good copies of what they are meant to be.
How on earth does one learn to know real from  a good copy, in a market that is SO clever at reproducing the original.??!! 

Anyway, real or copy, I still like them and will use them in my own personal jewelry.
I could not, in all honesty sell or give them knowing they may not be the real deal.

Are there any others who struggle with this problem or do you just believe/know and accept what you get is always authentic?

I guess the point is to buy from a reputable sales person and not a Hong Kong street market! LOL
Simple really.......!

Anyway guys, 

until tomorrow, 


8 comments:

Marian Hertzog said...

Wow these are great! Thanks for sharing your travels with us! I have enjoyed looking at all the wonderful pictures you have taken.

Jenni said...

Hi Marian, thanks for stopping by.It is back to the 'real' world now!
I can't wait to get back to my little studio again, I have missed it. It was a wonderful journey.

My Life Under the Bus said...

I go with if you enjoy them then don't let what they are ruin your enjoyment. I don't love Czech glass any less because it's just glass!

Jenni said...

Hi Patty, thanks for stopping by. Love the changes on your blog, very you, very pretty.
Jenni

Malin de Koning said...

Sigh, I just wrote a long answer to your question, but something went wrong. Sigh again, can't be bothered right now to write it again. Very very interesting question. I'd love to keep the discussion going. Although I so far haven't contributed one bit myself ... :-)

The beads you bought look great. And I would also be sceptic about the dzi ones. Please read up a bit on dzi beads. I would love to have more knowledge. And also you would know what to tell your clients. "It is a real dzi bead, they are bla bla bla..." or "it's made to look like a dzi bead. A copy, but a well made one" or something else which is valid.

I'm off to read up on dzi beads now. Love how they look but have never bought any.

All my best,
Malin

Malin de Koning said...

The pendant clock I also really like. Hm, "Omega" - well that's enough for me to tell it's false, when it looks like that. But I might be wrong of course. And it's really sweet.

I've made the opposite "mistake" in the past when travelling. Not buying things being too sceptic. Or thinking "oh I will find easily find these again later on". And then I didn't, and regreted.

Malin de Koning said...

Found these sources at a quick search:

MrBead is an online shop I buy from every now and then:

http://www.mrbead.com/MrBead/stonelist6.htm#agate

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzi_bead

It's all rather interesting I think.

Jenni said...

Malin, thank you for your comments and link, haven't looked it up yet, but definately will. Yes, I do know in my heart none of them are real. Sigh..! However, at the time I thought, I like them so will buy them. I too, have missed out on so many things I like because I think I will come back and never did! A good suggestion to say they are " made to look like..." etc.
As far as Omega.. !! well LOL..it's quaint none the less. Thanks,
Jenni

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...