Saturday, September 17, 2011

New Books

Hello dear readers,

Last week I received in the mail 3 lovely books. Here is my quick 'review' of each of these outstanding books after a first read-through.

1. "Handcrafted Wire Findings" by Denise Peck ( Denise is editor in chief of Step by Step wire jewellery and has also written three other books) and Jane Dickerson ( also author of Chain Style: 50 Contemporary Jewellery Designs)
I am totally loving this book! The many step by step photos with each project are clear and just so easy to understand... I know I will be using this book a lot to teach myself how to make jewellery components like clasps and connectors etc. I already have had a small attempt and made the Tumblweed french ear wires on page 34 (plus assembling Jennifer Jangle's ceramic beads for my bead soup project - see previous posting).


2.The second book  is "Jewelry Designs from Nature"... woodlands, gardens and sea by Heather Powers. This too is just so inspirational. Gorgeous, interesting projects combine with great art beads and really different components at times, making this book a visual feast. Full page photography with each project and interviews with artists make this a must-have book for anyone interested in jewellery.
A sources list for each project at the back of the book for all those lovely art beads could be positively dangerous to my purse!





3."Torch-Fired Enamel Jewelry" is a "workshop in painting with fire" says Barbara Lewis the author of this book.
I have never done enamel work with my torch before, but thought I might try it. This book gives lots of step by step details in how to do exactly that and much more...like how to cut metal discs and shape them, how to knot cord and incorporate fabric into your designs, to name just a few of the many and varied techniques in this wonderful book. I can't wait to give them all a go!




Hope you enjoy them too,

Cheers,

Jenni

2 comments:

Lori Bowring Michaud said...

I purchased Handcrafted Wire Findings a month or so ago and love it. Heather and Barbara's books are next on my hit list. I'm embarrassed to say that I purchased enameling supplies from Barbara a little over a year ago and haven't used them yet!

Gift Ideas said...

It is very important to learn the technology of jewelry making well to make the customers happy in the long run...it is not just looking good but also comfort and long lasting wear ability that is expected.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...